Tuesday, March 12, 2013

More Antique Medallions

 Here are a couple more medallions that I worked on last night and this morning. Again, these are from the DMC Tatting book from the antiquepatternlibrary.org; HERE is a direct link to the PDF book.


The picture at left is medallion #15, tatted with two shuttles. The end of the pattern for this medallion says to "fill in the center of the
medallion with 8 needle-made overcast bars." I looked up this pattern on InTatter's Forum and there are some sites and links listed that talk about this technique, so more on that tomorrow!








Pictured here is medallion #18. This one is also tatted with two shuttles on the outer rounds, and one shuttle on the inside.



All the others that I've made are hanging in my ficus tree! They look pretty cute!








 Here is my next project from the DMC book. I still have two hankies that I'd like to put edgings on this summer, so maybe I'll chose one from this book! The edging in the lower right corner really has my interest because the rings that are in the first row are only half closed! What a great idea!
 Hope your Tuesday has been terrific!


 

11 comments:

Karen said...

Like your motifs. Mark Myers has some patterns with half closed rings as I recall. Karen in OR

God's Kid said...

Great medallions!! :)

Kathy Niklewicz said...

You are doing some nice tatting here!

They were very much on a 'design roll' back then, and came up with many clever and beautiful patterns with just rings and chains, which sometimes are difficult to copy today because of the style of pattern writing. However, the designers didn't realize they had only scratched the surface of possibilities with tatting, and it would reach amazing heights many years in the future, after being revived
around 1990!

Conny said...

Hallo Allison!
Deine Arbeiten sehen wieder sehr hübsch aus. Leider kann ich nach diesen Anleitungen nicht knüpfen, ob sie irgendwann einmal ins deutsche übersetzt werden? Techniche Zeichnungen, wären auch gut! Noch eine Frage, knotest Du die Endfäden nur zusammen? Oder versteckst Du sie?
Einen schönen Tag Cornelia

Gunhild said...

...nice tatting...looked up the file yesterday and also felt in love with this edging in the right corner;-)..I never did a hankie till now...looking forward to see yours in summer :))...

Margarets designer cards said...

Lovely motifs
Margaret

Allison said...

Thanks God's Kid, Margaret, and Gunhild! It's been fun to go through an antique book and tat these patterns in modern times :)

Kathy, thanks very much and I also find older patterns interesting and a lot of fun to recreate.

Thanks for the tip Karen! I'll have to take a look at his website!

Allison said...

Hallo Cornelia!
Wenn Sie möchten, würde ich gerne per E-Mail Sie den Anweisungen. Ich in der Regel Knoten die Enden zusammen und dann verstecken sie in der Occhi. Ich finde es am einfachsten, hid die Enden in einem Ring gegenüber einer Kette. Glückliche tattings!

Anonymous said...

The patterns are lovely, I took a quick look at the antique book and I have put them on my to do list.

Allison said...

Thank you Susan! I've really enjoyed these little challenges :)

Dora, the Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing this book, Allison. It's one I haven't had in my collection. I do love the antique patterns!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...